Monday, October 21, 2019

Mast Family Home Movies

These are the actual reels that were converted to digital.

My grandfather Herbert Mast was a home movie maker. He often had a 8mm movie camera out at Christmas, Easter and other family gatherings. Every once in awhile, he would set up a projector and screen and we would have home movie night. It was a lot of fun.

Several years ago, my mother Diane Mast gave me a box of 8mm movie reels. I didn't do anything with them for awhile, but eventually, I sent the reels off to Legacy Box to be converted into digital videos. The videos aren't perfect, but I am impressed with what the Legacy Box people were able to do with 60 year old film reels. These videos are cool and I figured that I should share them with the world.

Also, I need some help from the Mast Family identifying some of the folks in the films. I know my parents and grandparents, but there are a lot of faces that I just don't recognize. If you know anyone, please leave a comment below.

OK, grab some popcorn and sit back and enjoy home movie night at the Old Mast Place.

Jack and Herbert Mast at home in Freeport, PA in 1957
Mast Family Videos 1956 1957
This video was converted from 8mm film shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel had a hand written label that said, "Donnie, Tippy 1957, Carolyn and Camp, 1957, Xmas and New Year, 1956". Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast and some extended family members.


Maxine Mast at Home in Freeport, PA in 1959
Mast Family Videos 1958 1959
This video was converted from 8mm film shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel had a hand written label that said, "1959 - Office Picnic, 1959 - Easter Display and Prom, 1959 - California, 1959 - California and Flood, 1958 Easter Display".  Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast and some extended family members.



Mast Family Videos 1957
This video was converted from 8mm film shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel had a hand written label that said, "P.P.G Picnic 1957, Dent and Sal at Well, Easter 1957, Fire Hall, Geneva and Conneaut, Fire Hall, Fire Hall".  Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast and some extended family members.


Herbert and Maxine Mast on 25th Anniversary in 1959
Mast Family Videos 1957 - 1959
This video was converted from 8mm film shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel had a hand written label that said, "Tippy, Donnie Sept 1957, Xmas 1957, Xmas 1958-59, Anniversary 1959".  Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast, my dad Jack Mast, and some extended family members. It appears from the cake, that this was my grandparents 25th wedding anniversary.


Mast Family Picnic 1968

Mast Family Videos 1967 - 1968

This video was converted from 8mm film shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel had a hand written label that said, "4th July at home 1968, Geneva on the lake 1968, at home Jackie 1967, Chris at Sal, Chris at Home, Don & Jamie".  Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast, my dad Jack Mast, my Uncle Donald Mast and his family and some extended family members.


Family in 1960s in Freeport, PA

Mast Family Videos 1967 - 1973

This video was converted from 6 small 8mm film reels shot by Herbert Mast. The film reels had a hand written labels that said, "Christmas 1966, Christmas, Picnic at Donna June May 1969,  Christmas 1969, Christmas 1970,  Christmas 1954 Easter Hats, Christmas 1973".  Herbert Mast was my Grandfather. The film also includes my Grandmother Maxine Mast, my father Jack Mast, my mother Diane (Janus) Mast, my sister Michele (Mast) Weisensee and some extended family members. Most of the film was shot at my Grandparents home in Freeport, PA.


Picking Easter Flowers, Circa 1955


Mast Family Videos 1950s

This video was converted from 3 small 8mm film reels shot by Herbert Mast. The film reels were unlabeled, but appear to be from the 1950s. Some of the film appears to be from a construction site. This construction is most likely of schools being built in Freeport, PA. My grandfather Herbert Mast was on the Freeport School Board for many years. There is also film on one of the reels that appears to be from Easter time.


Riding the Boats at Idlewild Park in Ligonier, Pennsylvania
Mast Family Videos Visit to Idlewild Park in 1960s

This video was converted from a small 8mm film reel shot by Herbert Mast. The film reel was unlabeled, but is obviously from Idlewild Park in Ligonier, Pennslyvania. We visited Idlewild often when I was young and I remember the rides fondly. My rough guess is that the film was shot in the late 1960s.


Fellows Building Hunting Cabin
Mast Family Videos Skyline Drive and Hunting Cabin Construction (Mid 1950s)

This video was converted from a two small 8mm film reels shot by Herbert Mast. One film reel included some footage from Skyline Drive which is a section of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. The other film reel includes footage of what I assume is the construction of a hunting and fishing cabin. I'm assuming this cabin is in Western Pennsylvania. I don't know who any of the people on this reel are. If you recognize any of the people or places, please leave a comment below.

Herbert Mast Editing 8mm Film
Mast Family Videos Christmas and Film Editing (Mid 1950s)

This video was converted from a small 8mm film reel shot by Herbert Mast. My favorite part of this reel is the footage of my grandfather Herbert Mast using a film editor to edit one of the actual reels of film seen on this page. What a great connection to the past. The reel also contains footage from Christmas time. I'm not sure who any of the people on this reel are. If you recognize any of the people or places, please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mast Family Home Movies

These are the actual reels that were converted to digital. My grandfather Herbert Mast was a home movie maker. He often had a 8mm movie...